We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

George Davis/Davies

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
windowframe

Re: George Davis/Davies

Post by windowframe »

Hi again Vallm09, Thanks for the reply. You could be right, I should check to see if George is witness at
his siblings marriages. I know where George's wife lived etc not far from George's address, I did see that
Marlborugh rd is now Draycott ave. Thanks for that.
I will let you know if I find anything,.
Thank you again for all that time and effort you have gone to for me, I really am grateful to you for the help.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Another thumbs up for the 1841 census Davis family:

England Deaths & Burials 1538-1991
First name(s) Elizabeth
Last name Oldknow
Birth year 1757
Age at death 85y
Burial date 05 Nov 1842
Burial place St. Luke Chelsea, Middlesex, England
Street address Whitlands Terrace, Marlboro Road

Like Thomas Davis (head of household), she's not "Born in County" either. Perhaps her death cert would clarify how/if she's related to Thomas or his wife Sarah. Then you can go from there. Also, I meant to ask who are the witnesses on George's 1848 marriage cert? Any other Davis/Davies relations?
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 08 Jul 2020, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Here's the Davis family in 1851, luckily at the same address:

Whitelands Terrace, Saint Luke Chelsea
Thomas Davis, age 57, paper stainer, birthplace: Cheapside (FMP have transcribed occupation as "paper opener")
Sarah Davis, age 58, laundress, birthplace: Birmingham
Thomas Davis, age 34, journeyman, birthplace: St Luke, Chelsea (from image)
Mary Davis, age 27, laundress, birthplace: St Luke, Chelsea (from image)

Mary is listed as "daughter" on the census image, but I wonder if she's actually Thomas Jnr's wife? There's an 1845 marriage record for a Thomas DAVIES in Chelsea. As I don't have Ancestry, I'm unable to view the marriage record for witness names and address of the groom.
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

Thomas Davies (joiner) m Mary Vinall 19/10/1845 -Kensington and Chelsea Holy Trinity, Chelsea Parish Register. Father John Davies (joiner). Witnesses: William Davies, Emily Vinall

also

Thomas Zaccheus Davies (licensed victualler) m Mary Sophia Jones 09/09/1845 Westminster St Mary, Paddington Green Parish Register. Father Thomas Davies (gentleman). Witnesses: George Jones, Susannah Davies
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

George Davies (dairyman) of 1 Marlbro’ Road m Virginia Sainsbury, of 6 Little Smith Street (both with parents’ permission) 3 Dec 1848 St Luke, Chelsea, Kensington and Chelsea Parish Register Father Thomas Davis (dairyman, could be drayman. Witnesseses : James and Elizabeth Jane Tapson, or Topson
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

Elizabeth June Farmilo m James Tapson 10 Sep 1843 St Mary'S, Lambeth, Surrey, England

And petitioned for divorce? Elizabeth Jane Tapson v James Tapson - Wife's Divorce petition dated 1863 (dismissed)
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

woodchal wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 16:11 George Davies (dairyman) of 1 Marlbro’ Road m Virginia Sainsbury, of 6 Little Smith Street...Witnesseses : James and Elizabeth Jane Tapson, or Topson
Thanks woodchal for the look-ups! James Topson is a Lath Render (plasterer's assistant).

Now, the OP (windowframe) should have a closer look at that Davis/Davies family residing at Lwr George Street in the 1841 census. The family consisting of Mary, Anne, George, Charles, Eliza (wife of Charles?), and baby Mary. (I don't see the Thomas Davies, dairyman, living at Lwr George Street, the chap whom ciderdrinker suggested the OP look into).

Because... witness James Topson resides at George Street, Chelsea in the 1841 and 1851 census. And in the 1871 & 1881 census, he's residing at Lower George Street, Chelsea. Not sure where he and wife Elizabeth Jane are in 1861. They were obviously having some marital difficulty by 1863. She died in 1880 in a Lunatic Asylum.

FYI: George Street, Lower is now Sloane Gardens.

Another Davis/Davies family to research. I think I need to have a lie down.... :lol: :?
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

VALLMO9 wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 18:11 Now, the OP (windowframe) should have a closer look at that Davis/Davies family residing at Lwr George Street in the 1841 census. The family consisting of Mary, Anne, George, Charles, Eliza (wife of Charles?), and baby Mary.
Quick look.
A baptism 12 July 1840, St Luke Chelsea
Mary Ann, Dtr of Charles + Eliza Davies, Wilderness Row, father a Paper Stainer. Born April 16 1840
There was also Sarah Amelia bap 3 June 1838, born April 29 1838, different address, Charles a Paper Stainer
Died same year I think.

Birth regs
DAVIES, SARAH AMELIA
Mother's Maiden Surname: ANTON
GRO Reference: 1838 J Quarter in KENSINGTON UNION Volume 03 Page 182

DAVIS, MARY ANN
Mother's Maiden Surname: ANTON
GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in KENSINGTON UNION Volume 03 Page 206

Marriage, 20 Aug 1837, Battersea
Charles Davies, full age, Bachelor, Paper Stainer, father William Davies, Engraver
+
Eliza Anton, full age, Spinster

There is another marriage down in Battersea, 15.1.1854
George Davies, full age, Bachelor, Servant, father William Davies, Engraver
+
Rachel Collins, full age, Spinster

Have yet to find George + Rachel afterwards. He may be the 13 year old from 1841, but he may not!
And what happened to Charles the paper stainer?
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

This Marlborough Road address has confused me.
There seem to be several number ones in the 1851 census. This is confirmed by the PO London directory, with the road being split into a number of terraces and "places", each with their own no 1 .

In both 1841 and 1851 the Davis family are at No. 1 Whitelands Terrace.
True, it doesn't say Marlborough Road, but in 1851 the previous pages are the enumeration of Orford Place, starting with 1 Orford Place, Marlboro Rd.
And Orford Place is one of the sections of Marlborough Road in the directories.

As we know, Whitelands ends with the paper hanging manufactory (is that an obselete word?)
Then coming after that is Ann Ward and her lunatic asylum, Blacklands House. Which is the first entry for Marlborough Road in the directory, followed by Orford Place!

Whether Whitelands Terrace was technially part of Marlborough Road or not, there must be a chance that, on that marriage cert, George's residence was actually meant to be that of Thomas Davis the paper stainer?
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

VALLMO9 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 20:31 Another thumbs up for the 1841 census Davis family:
First name(s) Elizabeth
Last name Oldknow
Burial date 05 Nov 1842
Burial place St. Luke Chelsea, Middlesex, England
Street address Whitlands Terrace, Marlboro Road
Thumbs up from me as well!