We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

via Palermo #19, Rome

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

Re: via Palermo #19, Rome

Post by meekhcs »

Sorry Mo, we discussed via Palermo, 19 in Rome and that is definitely the address on her death registration which was registered in the commune di Roma.

I get confused too because when entering the address, in the above format, in google search it will usually throw up results for Palermo and/or via Roma, Palermo which is a pain. A case of google choosing the most used application for the word Palermo methinks :roll: :roll: The only way to get round it is by using quotes

Yes that is the current address for DHM in England, and if TNA cannot help I will turn to them.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Sally - Apologies if you already have this information regarding the DHM:

"The members of the Society of Daughters of the Heart of Mary are ordained in secret. At the end of their novitiate, they take three vows of obedience, chastity, and poverty, and add to these yet another vow: to keep their ordination secret. In this way, they live in the world without residing in a convent, all the while remaining faithful to their vows and accomplishing their apostolic mission among populations that would be put off by religious garb. Dependent on the Society of Jesus [the religious order of the Jesuits], they were the first to be solicited when the Law of 1901 was passed, because they were the only congregation not to be subject to prefectural authorization due to the secret nature of their organization".

Mademoiselle Sophie Faivre was the Mother Superior of the DHM. I note that the article you found mentioned that she had died in the early 1900s. If there's an online death record for her, I wonder what address it would give?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Mo thanks for that. I had gotten the gist on the websites that I did manage to get into, but nice to have the clear definition.

Sophie Faivre is proving a problem in that apart from knowing that she passed away in 1903 we have no idea of where she was born and if Sophie Faivre is her full name. I couldn't find anything with a simple search on FamilySearch.

This evening I have re read the piece from the book I quoted in an earlier post on this thread concerning the Cardinals.

I have attached two snippets from the piece.
SF 1.JPG
SF 1.JPG (126.29 KiB) Viewed 982 times
SF 2.JPG
SF 2.JPG (22.53 KiB) Viewed 982 times
The first snippet covers the visit of Sophie Faivre to Rome in 1903 when she stays at the common house in via Palermo and where Miss Jecker the Superior of the Meeting in Rome acts as an intermediary between the Superior General (Sophie Faivre) and the Secretariat of State.

The second snippet is the detail of No. 18, which is inserted in the first snippet, which is a letter sent by Eugenie Jecker, Superior of Rome, of Rome, via Palermo 19 to the Reverend Eminence.

Finally we have something alluding to via Palermo 19, Rome being a religious house, and possibly the HQ of The Daughters of the Heart of Mary in Rome.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Sally - great find with the second snippet above. The following may be of interest, particularly if your lady spent time in Ireland during the 19th century:

"The Society of the Daughters of the Heart of Mary owned and ran a residential children's home in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, St. Joseph's Orphanage, from 1856 until its closure in 1984. They estimate that in that period of time they provided residential care to in excess of 2,000 children".

"The sisters of the Society of the Daughters of the Heart of Mary are Trustees of St. Joseph's National School in Dun Laoghaire. A school was first opened in 1860".
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

Is Sarah's mothers name correct ?
yesterday [22 September] at the place at Via Palermo #19, age 81, residing …., born in (near southwest?) England to deceased Tommaso residing…. And to deceased Sara Gillingham, residing….

In the will of Thomas , his wife is Mary. Did he remarry ? Could be a misunderstanding, Although oldest daughter per his will is Maria. ??
I'm sorry but I have no access to full text.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Jimbo50 and thank you

Sarah's Father married twice, his first wife, Sarah's Mother, was Sarah Gillingham, his second Mary.

I have transcribed his will and the children of his first marriage are all provided for, as is his 2nd wife Mary, and their children.

I appreciate you mentioning these details, but to save yourself unnecessary work, I have thoroughly researched this Family, and verified all my info.

This post is purely to find out as much info as I can about the address at which Sarah died "via Palermo 19, Rome, Italy"

I think between us we have exhausted all the possible online records for the address, but something else may turn up.
Sally
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

meekhcs wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 11:26 born in (near southwest?) England
Southwest is apparently sud-ovest in Italian.
I don't see a d or an o in there
To me it looks like Near Lulwert Inghilterra

Lulwert might be an attempt at Lulworth? Probably I'm completely wrong.
Near Lulworth would make sense, but would they use the word near?
Attachments
Sarah Death.JPG
Sarah Death.JPG (20.12 KiB) Viewed 928 times
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

FamilySearch say
Vear Lulwert (England)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:W9V6-WSW2

From Italy, Roma, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1863-1930

Sarah Parmiter was baptized at East Lulworth (Catholic), 25 March 1841, aged 15
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Everyone

I am going to pause this thread until I receive replies from TNA and/or The Archivist at DHM.

Thank you for all your help.

I am continuing to work on the timeline for Sarah Parmiter, which I why I originally doing, when I popped this post up because I lost a pertinent source and needed help finding it.

I don’t want people to waste time looking for further records in case I have already found them but not posted them here.

I will report back if I receive any replies.

Thank you all once again.
Sally
Jimbo50

Post by Jimbo50 »

Apologies just quick message to Jonwarm; Yes, I was surprised that there were so many 'older persons' baptised at St Mary's. It's in the grounds of Lulworth Castle.Evidently it was the first Catholic Church to be built after the Reformation. They were playing catch-up.

http://eastlulworth.org.uk/old/east_lul ... _mary.html