We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Walter McKinnin/Brick wall

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Walter McKinnin/Brick wall

Post by VALLMO9 »

Great find, sdup26! The Keenan family were also at Castle Street, Bangor in the 1901 census. They were Methodist, according to the census record. Both Walter and Randolph Julius' birth record images are on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ as are the parent's Nov 1896 marriage record image: John Keenan to Mary Burrowes in Downpatrick district. The image gives their fathers' names and occupations. No sign of a birth record for an Andrew/Andy Keenan yet.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Thank you to sdup26 for that information, I found the birth/baptism records for the 2 boys, and also the marriage cert. for parents.
I also did a search for Walter's sisters who he said are Margaret, Isabel and a another brother John, but could not find them
with the same parents as the others namely John Keenan and Mary Burrowes. Will need to check if Walter came to Australia under
the name Keenan? I notice that Walter Keenan birth date as 12 or20 Nov,1898 while our Walter says his birth was 10 Apr 1900.
Thank you again for your time and appreciate any help.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Thank you also goes to Vallm09 for your input into Walter, I did as you suggested and found the marriage and births online.
As you said, no record for Andy/Andrew Keenan, as I have mentioned on the previous post, I also checked to see if could find
Walter's other siblings with same parents.
I did find a marriage for John Mckinnon married 1899 to Agnes, Larne, Antrim( as Walter did tell us that his father married a Agnes Thomspon,
hearsay again, also found marriage of John Mckinnon married 1904 to Mary Agnes, Belfast, Antrim.
I need to do a lot more following up, it's a pity that Irish marriage certs are not showing the wife's maiden name online, just one partner's name
some certs. are online to view as you say at irish genealogy.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Further to my brick wall on Walter Mckinnin, I have been searching for the family Keenan as mentioned by Sdup26 on 16/7/2020.
THE 1911 Census for Ireland is the last time I have been able to find anything on this family, they seem to have disappeared.
I searched Ancestry and someone has a tree on there with the 2 boys Walter and Randolph but with the wrong parents. I have search
Findmypast, irish genealogy site, Irish newspapers, USA newspapers, NZ newspapers, Australia but that is where the name shows as McKinnin.
Check shipping records but have a problem with so many without info to go on.
I should mention I did find a Florence Elizabeth Keenan born 1907 on the Irish genealogy site with same parents as Walter and Randolph.
Florence is found on the 1911 Irish Census with her grandmother"Burrows".
Could someone give me any other suggestions how to follow up on this family, the details that were given about them fits into what was heresay
from Mckinnin family members.
Any help would be very much appreciated and thank you in advance.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Could be father John.
Will Calendars, PRONI website.
John Keenan of 19a Church Street, Bangor, County Down, retired engine driver, died 26 January 1937.
Probate Belfast 23 June to James Milliken railway guard.
Effects £623 0s. 5d.

Newspaper announcements of John's death in the Belfast Telegraph, 27 January 1937, attached.
Funeral at Bangor New Cemetery.
Says beloved father of Walter Keenan.

Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Son, Daughter-in-law and Grandchild.
Walter and Agnes Keenan, Ava Street, Bangor.

Members of the Belfast and Dublin Locomotive Engine Drivers' and Firemen's Trade Union are requested to attend the funeral.
Attachments
Belfast Telegraph 27 Jan 1937.jpg
Belfast Telegraph 27 Jan 1937.jpg (77.87 KiB) Viewed 744 times
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Lennon Wylie has the 1943 Belfast Street Directory.
Provincial Towns Section.
Bangor.
Keenan, Walter, 2 Ava Street

W Keenan at 2 Ava Street in the 1970/71 "Spectator" Bangor Directory
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/BangorSpe ... ry1970.htm

Looks like wife Agnes died in 1963.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Perhaps Walter Keenan, son of John the engine driver and Mary Burrowes, isn't your Walter McKinnin?
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

What about the ancestry trees who say he is Walter Thomson McKie, are they on the right track?
Born 10 April 1907 in Dumfries, Scotland.
Parents William McKie, Farm Labourer, and Agnes McKie, maiden surname Thomson (married 3 Dec 1897)
Siblings in the 1911 census James, Mary, William, Isabella, Robert.

Walter McKie went to Australia on the Orsova, in 1926. Age18, Farm servant.
Married Christina May Nelson in Kalgoorlie, 11 Feb 1931.
Walter was sentenced to 17 months in prison for theft in 1938 (Perth Police Court)
Christina then got together with Herbert Harry Sutton?

Death 19 Nov 1989, Victoria, as Walter McKinnin,
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

There is a WW2 service record for Walter Thomson McKie.
That should help a bit.
Enlisted 29.12.1941 in Claremont, Western Australia.
Born 10.4.06 in Dumfries.
Labourer.
Religion Presbyterian.
Next of kin is wife Christina May McKie, 48 Devinish Street, Victoria Park WA.

Not many more images.
Looks like he "absented" himself early in 1942.
May not have returned?
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Thank you so much for all that info. JONWARRN, I will now need to check out each one and see if I can match it up, the only one that cannot be is
W.Keenan at 2 Ava Street Bangor as our Walter Mckinnin was in Australia that I am sure of as I have his marriage and electoral roll info for years
1950 to 1980's approx. I cannot believe that I missed the death notice for John Keenan, very remiss of me.
Thank you again for your time and help greatly appreciated.