We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Second World War personnel records at TNA

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

Second World War personnel records at TNA

Post by Thunder »

I have just across two records in TNA's Discovery catalogue which listed two men as being born in 2022! and therefore the files are closed to researchers until 2123.

I have now found another ten files which should have been opened had TNA not added 100 years to their date of birth.
meekhcs

Re: Second World War personnel records at TNA

Post by meekhcs »

We applied for my husband's Father's record from TNA. They have us told we will have to wait 6 months before receiving anything, as that is how long they are taking to deal with queries! Interestingly it says his record is closed until 2028 which is 30 years after his death, and 118 years after his birth! We do not know of any reason why this should be.
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Sally,
Have you tried the MOD? They are the normal route for WW2 service records. You may still have a long wait though, and it cost me £30. If I recall correctly, it was dealt with by an MOD department in Glasgow. Try the MOD website. FYI I applied only a few years after he died, your husband as next of kin should have no problem
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Earlier in the year I applied to TNA for my grandfather’s service record and was lucky, we had it quickly and for less than the £30 I’d sent to MOD the year before. It’s all a bit hit or miss right now. Change is everywhere and standards vary.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thanks Mike

No I haven't applied directly to the MOD because everyone was reporting such a long wait!

At Least TNA are regularly updating us. They have promised January, so we will let it run until then.

I suspect because the MOD have been taking so long people have turned to TNA, hence the queue there now!
Sally
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Sheer coincidence, but my original MOD application (made April 2021) has just been returned to me with a suggestion I contact TNA. :lol: I’m hoping that means I might hear about my dad’s records, applied for in March 2021 soon…
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thunder wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 22:52 I have now found another ten files which should have been opened had TNA not added 100 years to their date of birth.
As your thread states personnel (not "service records") I presume you are perusing TNA's Intelligence and Security Services files?

I have an immediate family member who operated within the "exploitation" arm of WW2 activities. As such, I don't believe any records will exist for him. Information relating to his unit's activities has always been scarce. At least I have a general idea of what his role was, and the nature of his covert assignments in Europe.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

I was referring to men serving in the Armed Forces and not in the Secret Services. They are "War Office: German Record cards of British and Commonwealth Prisoners of War and some Civilian Internees, Second World War", rather than the Second World War service records, my mistake.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

TNA have just released this information on how they catalogued the Second World War records. In my view they should have used full names of servicemen and servicewomen, I have already seen cases of people with the same initials in the catalogue. This does not accord with TNA's stated aim of helping researchers and of course it means other records at TNA will not be able to be traced. TNA's lack of consultation with researchers over what researchers is obvious as is a 115-year-closure on all records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpCgYrp19Bc
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thunder wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 11:00 In my view they should have used full names of servicemen and servicewomen,
But as the TNA Youtube clip states: "There would also be some caveats to protect personal information, specifically this meant that for individuals born less than 100 years ago -- and therefore considered likely to still be alive -- we would redact the descriptions to show just the initials and surname and the year of birth".

I have to ask: Are you looking for your relatives in these records? Or do you just like to peruse these record collections out of curiosity? :?