We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Mystery uniform/insignia

This is the place for your genealogy-related photos.
Artognou

Mystery uniform/insignia

Post by Artognou »

Hi everyone,

I have been pondering over this photo of one of my great, great grandfathers for several years, my research hasn't been very forthcoming unfortunately.
I know that he was a coachman, allegedly for the royals, but later in his life he was a coachman for H M Repuke funeral services.
The insignia has really captured my imagination since I first received the photo about two years ago and if anyone is able to help me, I will be eternally grateful.
Screenshot_20221030_193129_com.simplemobiletools.gallery_1.jpg
Screenshot_20221030_193129_com.simplemobiletools.gallery_1.jpg (253.83 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Mick Loney

Re: Mystery uniform/insignia

Post by Mick Loney »

Try ‘Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes’ or RAOB.
This lokks like one of their insignia, the GLE standing for the Grand Lodge of England.
My father was a member, and I have some of his regalia, which looks very similar.
When I get a minute, I’ll get a photo to post for you to compare.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Thes two photos show insignia for the first two levels membership,
RAOB 2.jpg (681.29 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Primo
Primo
RAOB 1.jpg (691.44 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

Your attached photo is not too clear so I can't see the woven symbols (mine show intertwined RAOB) , but the GLE text on mine, seems similar to yours
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

The text on Artogonou’s photo looks as though it could be GLL, I can’t make it out easily but may be something to bear in mind
Paul
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Paul, I agree, but image is so poor, I was going by font rather than the actual letters i.e. perhaps I was seeing what I was expecting to see, rather than what was actually there :D
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Screenshot_20221030_193129_com.simplemobiletools.gallery_1.jpg
Screenshot_20221030_193129_com.simplemobiletools.gallery_1.jpg (319.76 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Slightly more defined
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

I can't do anything to improve the detail of the insignia/badges. Perhaps someone else can?
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

SUGGESTION: See if there's a newspaper obit for your ancestor. Sometimes men connected to a masonic lodge will have details of such in the obit.
For example: H M Repuke's 1933 funeral notice mentions the Kingsland Masonic Lodge, amongst other various clubs and associations who sent wreaths.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Also, Ancestry UK has a Freemasons Membership Register 1751-1921 collection. Maybe there's a record for your ancestor.
Artognou

Post by Artognou »

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your replies and apologies for my late one!
I have looked at the freemason records, but unfortunately nothing seems to come up.
I have tried to search for the initials PCN and CLL, however I only get modern results in reference to parking charges!
I definitely do think that he was probably a Mason, but the frustrating thing is that he went by several different variations of his name, which was Abraham George Edward Snow, and he can be found as Edward and less commonly, George and occasionally by his full name.
He was a Londoner by birth, but he suddenly moved from Islington to Glamorgan after 1939 and died there in 1942. I haven't been able to find an obit, either.