We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

TNA catalogue

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

TNA catalogue

Post by Thunder »

When I was researching the case of Mrs Rose Irene Loan (TNA documents: ASSI 45/175, ASSI 87/36 and DPP 2/2249 (all from 1953), I then discovered another file on her (HO 343/37) with her new married name of Mrs Rose Irene Knox running from 1953-1981 (when she died) with no indication of her previous name. Leaving out the fact the latter file is wrongly described, she was not 'unfit to plead', i.e. insane, as she would not have spent seven years in prison. Why was the file description of HO 343/37 incorrect, it was by luck that I found it, it is still closed until 2032!.
meekhcs

Re: TNA catalogue

Post by meekhcs »

Thunder

I am afraid, as with all transcriptions, human error plays a large part. When you think of the trillions of records that have been transcribed, indexed, filed etc over the years it is inevitable that mistakes will have occurred.

We all wish they could be carried out with a higher degree of accuracy. I appreciate you once worked for TNA, and therefore their errors will be particularly irksome to you, but it is what it is.

Sally, Admin
Sally
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

On 1 January this year 50 files about claims by people for compensation under the Nazi Compensation scheme (series FO 950 at TNA) which ran from 1964-1966 were supposed to be released. 49 of the files had closed extracts which according to TNA were both released and placed back into the main file but also 'closed under review' meaning a decision had yet to be made. I would like to know which it is!. If the extracts have been released then the names of the claimants should be in the catalogue but TNA do not seem to understand that researchers need 'names, names and names'. This is only a small part of the closed FO 950 files, in four years' time TNA have to deal with over 900 files!.

TNA have just turned a milestone, they have just over half-a-million closed files, so much for Freedom of Information.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

The latest news from TNA is there is a glitch which stops entries being found in their catalogue. A case this week was of 224 Treasury files most of which were released but according to TNA they released only 95 files! and they still haven't sorted out the names of claimants in the Nazi compensation claims files (FO 950) which should have been released onto their catalogue on 1 January 2023. This makes me question firstly can we trust anything that TNA have in their catalogue and secondly are they going to go back and fill in the gaps?. This 'glitch' has been going on since the end of December last year and they still haven't sorted it out, time to get outside contractors who know about computer systems, in my view.