We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

George Keith Robinson Jarvis - 1939 Census Query

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
JasonB

George Keith Robinson Jarvis - 1939 Census Query

Post by JasonB »

On the 1939 Census there is a Red asterix next to the Sub Schedule Number for George. In the Instructions section at the end of his line it states he was an Part Time ARP Warden in Southampton. However, in the line below this (the line for his wife Elizabeth K Jarvis) there is another Red asterix and C/84 written in red and in a red box.

Any help in understanding what this means would be helpful.
Attachments
1939 Census.jpg
1939 Census.jpg (984.73 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
meekhcs

Re: George Keith Robinson Jarvis - 1939 Census Query

Post by meekhcs »

I think the asterisks and the C/84 all refer to George and I suspect are connected to his position as ARP Warden.

I would hazard a guess that C/84 is a particular Air Raid Shelter in the vicinity of where George worked as an ARP Warden, and to which he was attached. Unfortunately there is no formal list of abbreviations used in the 1939 census as many were added long after the census was taken.

There are some very good Southampton pages on Facebook, full of local knowledge, that may be able to help you.

If you don't know the area George's address in 1939 was in the Midanbury area of the Town, as it was then. It didn't become a city until the late 50s/early 60s.
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

meekhcs wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 10:40 I think the asterisks and the C/84 all refer to George ...
I'd agree with that - basically, there wasn't any room left on his line on the R/H page, so it (the red addition) had to go adjacently.
Adrian Bruce
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

JasonB wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 21:08 Red asterix and C/84 written in red and in a red box.
Is it in biro? Which would mean it was added quite some time after the war?