We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

18th century ancestor - finding military records

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
04aireyn

18th century ancestor - finding military records

Post by 04aireyn »

Hello, I'm new to the site and I'm after some help and advice on how to proceed further. I have discovered an ancestor Matthew Fencote's occupation was listed as a solider in his 1747 marriage record and his son's baptism. However I'm not sure how to find out more about his service record, where he was stationed etc.

Can anyone with perhaps Lancashire connections or 18th century military knowledge help me where to start looking? Thanks, Neil

Marriage: 26 Jul 1747 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Matthew Fencote - a Soldier
Mary Etherington -
Register: Marriages 1725 - 1752, Page 308, Entry 2
Source: Original register at Lancashire Archives

Baptism: 15 Apr 1748 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Matthew Fencote - Son of Mat. Fencote & Mary
Born: 16 ?
Register: Baptisms 1725 - 1752, Page 316, Entry 8
Source: LDS Film 1278740
Thunder

Re: 18th century ancestor - finding military records

Post by Thunder »

The first port of call should be The National Archives (https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/) but I have had a look at their 'Discovery' catalogue and i can find no reference to him. He may have been in the militia and I would suggest that you contact the Lancashire Record Office to see if they have any records on him.

Best of luck.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

If he was in the militia contact the Lancashire Archives. They have a militia-related collection entitled c1790-1860: Preston Records. Obviously your ancestor was a soldier during the 1740s, but hopefully Lancashire Archives can provide guidance on possible earlier militia records, if they exist.
Link: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /N13778780

Lancashire Archives
Bow Lane
Preston
England
PR1 2RE

Telephone: 01772 533 039
Email: archives@lancashire.gov.uk
04aireyn

Post by 04aireyn »

Thanks for your help & suggestions, I will contact the Lancashire archives in Preston and see if they hold any 1740's military records.