We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Martin Bond Smith

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Martin Bond Smith

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Can anyone find the baptism of Martin Smith c1819 in Fulham please? Initially he is just Martin Smith but becomes Martin Bond Smith in the 1881 census. His marriage cert of 1846 shows his father as John Smith, butcher but I can't confirm this. Witnesses: Robert Needham and Mary ? Smith. In the 1841 census he is still in Fulham but is in Chelsea by 1851 where he remains. He is missing from the 1861 census.

Thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: Martin Bond Smith

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 18:57 He is missing from the 1861 census.
Some of Chelsea in the 1861 census is missing:

Chelsea District is only 92.5% complete, with the three subdistricts missing different proportions:
Sub-district 1 Chelsea South (RG9 30-32) is 92.8% complete. Within this sub-district, Enumeration District 6 (RG9/30 ff.143-152), is missing a number of streets including Cooks Ground, part of Kings Road, Oakley Street, Phene Street, Oakley Crescent, Margaretta Terrace and Rolls Cottages.
Sub-district 2 Chelsea North West (RG9 33-35) is 89.2% complete.
Sub-district 3 Chelsea North East (RG9 36-39) is 95.1% complete.

Is the father (John Smith) listed as deceased on Martin's marriage record? Have you tried following-up the marriage witness named Mary Smith?

Don't quote me, but I think the LMA hold some or all of Fulham baptism records. Not sure if anyone else has online Fulham baptisms. Maybe Ancestry has some Fulham parish records. Check with the LMA for guidance on Fulham parish records availability.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Mo. Yes, some of Chelsea/Pimlico is missing but I mentioned it as I don’t want to assume anything, just in case some kind soul finds him :D Later he lived at Little Smith Street - would be worth checking if this is in the missing area (if that’s possible).

I’ll take a look at LMA, Ancestry and FS haven’t got him so every possibility helps. John Smith wasn’t recorded as deceased and I couldn’t pinpoint him in Fulham as a butcher in the 1841 census? I haven’t followed up Mary Smith, I need more of a clue :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

What is Martin's Fulham address in 1841, and his address on the marriage record? Addresses are always good clues.
Also, what is the Smith family address in 1871?

As for Little Smith Street: if you check the 1861 census on FMP, you'll see there are some entries for folks living at Little Smith Street. Simply type Little Smith Street in the STREET field. I've no idea if LSS is fully captured in the 1861 census, with no missing pages.

This LMA document provides an overview of Hammersmith & Fulham records availability: https://search.lma.gov.uk/london-genera ... -guide.pdf
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks for the LMA link.

Addresses for 1841 - lodging at Bridge Street, Fulham, 1851 - Arthur Place, St Luke's, Chelsea, 1871 & 1881 Little Smith Street. He died in 1889. The marriage cert has 'Brompton' for both. He married a Maria Smith and as mentioned, one of the witnesses was Mary ?Jane/Anne Smith and I have no idea which side she was on!
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

There is an 1857 baptism image on FS for daughters Mary Ann and Frances Elizabeth. Parents: Martin & Maria SMITH. Address is 9 Church Street.
I can't make out Martin's occupation. Possibly "green-grocer" ?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

That’s him, he had been a gardener then later became a laundryman. Greengrocer, if true, was short lived.

Have say I’m suspicious of John Smith, butcher partly because I know Maria had lied about her father on her marriage certificate and partly because I can’t explain why Bond appeared from no-where. Sometimes it’s an indication of an absent father, sometimes it’s a mothers surname but why so late in this case? I also wonder if the couple are cousins marrying (both Smith) but finding facts for Martin is harder than I expected :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Hopefully the LMA can confirm if they hold most or all of the Fulham parish baptisms (circa 1815-1820).
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 19:49I know Maria had lied about her father on her marriage certificate
How did Maria lie? I guess it's her brother, Richard Smith, who was with them in 1851. Both born Hampshire Kingsclere.

Oddity springing from 1841
Martin Smith in the same house as Benjamin and Maria Walker. Maria's maiden name was Martin.
In the 1851 census Maria Walker is still in Bridge Street, Fulham, a widow, born Berkshire Newbury.
But it looks to me like she had remarried, and her husband James Stevens, given as single, is in the household! Why did they not say they were husband and wife?
17 February 1851, St Alphege, Greenwich, James Stevens, Bootmaker, and Maria Walker, widow (father Richard Martin)
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Jon

My apologies, it wasn't Maria who had lied about her father, but the couple's granddaughter who was illegitimate. That will teach me to answer on the fly and not check my facts :oops: Sorry, I've sent you off on the wrong direction, but yes, it was her brother who is on the 1851 census

Maria, born 1822 in Highclere to Shadrach and Jane nee Barnes. Maria isn't living with her birth family in Hampshire in 1841 and I haven't looked for her :o