We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Three brothers in the same regiment?

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Three brothers in the same regiment?

Post by VALLMO9 »

ClareBear wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 21:00 I do have a date for Thomas's death as 1806, but haven't found burial entry to prove this.
Do you now have a record to confirm an 1806 death? (Earlier you mentioned that you hadn't confirmed his date of death or location).

What confuses me are the two William Spearing baptisms. One in 1786 (which could be the chap in the 40th Foot) and the other in 1790.

Thanks to Sally for the Spearing baptism record details from Ancestry!
ClareBear

Post by ClareBear »

Hello everyone

Thomas Spearing - I only have a year for Thomas' death - not yet found a burial entry (and the same for other trees on Ancestry but no records to prove this date, this is why I am not 100% sure he died in 1806)

I believe that there were two children named William - One born 1786 - died 1787 and the second William (the soldier) born 1790 (bapt 11th April 1790 Crewkerne just father Samuel named)
For all other baptisms I agree with meekhcs, this is what I have found as well (good to know!) Sometimes the mother is named as Betty but on William's baptism in 1786 it gives her maiden name as Astin which is what I have found for the parents marriage.

I too have found and used various spellings of Spearing - just using Spearing as it seems to be one used most often. I use both Ancestry and FMP.

Thanks again everyone for all your help - it's proving so useful to build up a picture of these 3 soldier brothers.
Kind regards
ClareBear
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Just wanted to mention the following Overseas military births on Find My Past. Unfortunately, I'm unable to see the parent's names indicated in the Index records. However, I can see that these four records do mention the 40th Foot. So a possibility that the births below could be connected to William and/or Joseph Spearing of the 40th Foot. Or the earlier births could be connected to the George Spearing (40th Foot) from Limpson, Somerset. Discharged in 1817. You'd need the actual GRO certificates to confirm this, though.

Before ordering any certs, I'd check census records using names, birth years, and birthplaces for the Spearing children below. You may struggle, though, if they're all from the same family and they remained in Ireland.

Find My Past -- British Armed Forces and Overseas Births and Baptisms collection
GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924) set

Spearing, Mary S
Year: 1814

Spearing, Elizabeth
Year: 1816

Spearing, Susanah
Year: 1818

Spearing, William
Year: 1821

GRO holds British Army Regimental records of births, baptisms and marriages, dating back to 1761. This GRO link contains information about ordering Overseas certificates: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... /CG6_1.pdf

If you decide to plump for any of the GRO certs above - all you do is sign-in to your GRO account (as per usual). In the certificate order screen, under "Where was the event registered?" section, make sure you select the "Outside the United Kingdom and registered by the British Forces, Consul or High Commission" option. Then order your cert(s) as usual, using the details indicated in the FMP records.

NOTE: For the "Parent's occupation at time of birth" field I believe you'll need to enter the Regiment/Unit. In this case: 40th Foot.

I'm fairly certain Overseas certs are posted to the applicant (rather than a PDF sent electronically via email).
ClareBear

Post by ClareBear »

Hello
Thank you so much for the Overseas Military births links - I have been down yet another rabbit hole looking at these, and I think I may have to send off for at least one to rule out/in William or Joseph Spearing.

I have also tonight found lots more Pension records for William Spearing. And I have found that the brothers Thomas, William and Joseph had nephews who also had long army careers - so with everyone's help my Spearing Military research has expanded and is proving to be so interesting.

Thanks again for all the brilliant help on my initial question 'three brothers in the same regiment?'

Kind regards
ClareBear.
ClareBear

Post by ClareBear »

Hello
Just a quick question - has anyone had to research the Garrison of the Tower of London, Tower Within Extra Parochial, Whitechapel, London & Middlesex, England? This has come up on FMP as a possible place of one of my Spearing soldiers on the 1851 census. I can see there are records on TNA, but I was hoping for any other ways to research soldiers garrisoned here.

As always - thanks in advance of any replies and help.
Kind regards
ClareBear
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

ClareBear wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 20:26 This has come up on FMP as a possible place of one of my Spearing soldiers on the 1851 census. I can see there are records on TNA, but I was hoping for any other ways to research soldiers garrisoned here.
As you've probably seen, Constable's records for the Tower of London and its Garrison are in class WO 94 at TNA. These records are not online, so you would need to visit Kew or have someone go on your behalf.

If the soldier you're researching is Charles Spearing have you checked the British Army records for him on FMP? The 1851 census indicates a Charles Spearing (born 1821 in Yeovil, Somerset) was stationed at the Tower of London. So it's likely some of the FMP records below are for this soldier.

FMP have an 1839 record plus image for a Charles Spearing (service number 2433) in the WO97 collection (Chelsea Pensioners). Born 1821 in Crewkerne, Yeovil, Somerset. Charles Spearing (2433) also has a record in the British Army, Coldstream Guards 1800-1981 collection.

Also, there are two records for a Chas Spearing in the WO23 collection (Chelsea Admission Books, Registers and Papers). One record is dated 1855-6 (2nd Foot Guards). The other record is dated 1865-75 (Coldstream Guards), and may relate to the CS above.

Another record for Chas Spearing in the WO22 collection (Royal Hospital Chelsea - Returns Of Payment Of Army And Other Pensions). The record is dated 1852-61. No regimented is listed.
ClareBear

Post by ClareBear »

Thank again for all the help with this - yes it is Charles Spearing this time.

I have noted the records to search for Charles - some I have already found for him, but I will now check that I haven't missed anything. He's proving to be an interesting member of the Spearing family.

I think I am building up enough research to do at Kew, never been, so maybe a trip is needed to be planned sometime in the future.

Thanks again everyone for all your amazing help
ClareBear.