We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Canadian census 1921 and 1931

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
devonliz

Canadian census 1921 and 1931

Post by devonliz »

A recent short article on the website of WDYTYA? magazine is entitled What Canadian census records are available?

Rosemary Collins writes that 1921 records are available on Library & Archives Canada [LAC], Ancestry and MyHeritage. She also mentions that the 1931 census has just been released and can be searched by name on Ancestry, and browsed on LAC and Findmypast.

I have found a browsable census on the Canadian website but I have had no luck so far on Ancestry. Am I somehow looking in the wrong section? It does seem unlikely that Ancestry would have a searchable census when the other two sites are still browse-only.
AdrianBruce

Re: Canadian census 1921 and 1931

Post by AdrianBruce »

1931 is there on Ancestry - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/62640/

(I went to their Card Catalogue, filtered by location Canada, then clicked Census & Electoral Rolls - the 1931 Census of Canada is at the top of the list if you are sorting by Date Added.)

It is indeed searchable by name:
Thanks to our proprietary handwriting recognition technology, the 1931 Census of Canada records are now searchable. Please keep in mind that diacritical and accent marks may not appear and are not required to search names. Transcription accuracy is dependent upon the quality of the document being scanned. For best results, view the census image.
I think this must be the same technology used to index the 1950 US Census.
Adrian Bruce
devonliz

Re: Canadian census 1921 and 1931

Post by devonliz »

Thanks so much - I have found the census info - and found my relative