We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Fold3 - New UK Military Records (WW1)

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
VALLMO9

Fold3 - New UK Military Records (WW1)

Post by VALLMO9 »

I suppose one needs a Fold3 subscription to access, but it's always nice to see new UK record collections become available:

UK, WWI, 5th London General Hospital, 1917
UK, Ireland Army Census, 1911
UK, Worldwide Army Census, 1911
UK, Rolls of Honour, 1914‑1920
UK, Highland Light Infantry Chronicle – Index 1908‑1920
UK, The Times – Index of Casualties, 1914
UK, Princess Mary’s Gift Box POW list, 1914
UK, University Rolls of Honour, 1914‑1918

More information link: https://blog.fold3.com/
meekhcs

Re: Fold3 - New UK Military Records (WW1)

Post by meekhcs »

One should also be able to fully access the records with the full Ancestry sub unless they have changed the rules since my sub expired.
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

meekhcs wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 07:26 One should also be able to fully access the records with the full Ancestry sub unless they have changed the rules since my sub expired.
Depends what you mean by "Full"... My "Full" membership is actually officially a "Worldwide" membership. There is a step beyond which is "All Access", which gives access to Fold3 and Newspapers.com. Usually, the Fold3 stuff has an index on the main Ancestry site so that you get hints to go to Fold3, but the images are only on Fold3.
Adrian Bruce
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I don't have any current subs at the moment, but I have someone who might be listed in the UK, Highland Light Infantry Chronicle – Index 1908‑1920 collection. He was transferred briefly to the HLI in 1916 from another regiment. Possibly due to minor war injuries which he sustained at the time. The following year he returned to his original regiment. If I had Fold3 access and he's mentioned in the HLI Chronicle, it might confirm the reason for his transfer.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

I suggest you watch out around 11 November - Fold3 does seem to get the occasional free days, though normally restricted to specific topics. I've certainly picked up the odd WW1 Pension record. (That's the real Pension records - from the Western Front Association).
Adrian Bruce
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Apologies Adrian I meant the all access sub!
meekhcs wrote: ↑30 Jul 2023, 07:26
One should also be able to fully access the records with the full Ancestry sub unless they have changed the rules since my sub expired.
Depends what you mean by "Full"... My "Full" membership is actually officially a "Worldwide" membership. There is a step beyond which is "All Access", which gives access to Fold3 and Newspapers.com. Usually, the Fold3 stuff has an index on the main Ancestry site so that you get hints to go to Fold3, but the images are only on Fold3.
Incidentally the all access sub includes a membership to newspapers.com BUT doesn't allow full access to the site
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

meekhcs wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 11:21 ... Incidentally the all access sub includes a membership to newspapers.com BUT doesn't allow full access to the site
Ooh err... :( I have a vague idea I read something about a further restriction but since I don't have a newspapers.com - or Fold3 - subs, I forgot what it was. Thanks for the warning.
Adrian Bruce
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Just had a look for my HLI soldier in Fold3's Highland Light Infantry Chronicle – Index 1908‑1920 using his surname and his two service numbers. No joy.

The odd thing is...today I revisited the various WW1 Medal Cards and Pension Record Cards I saved for him on Ancestry ages ago. One of the Medal Card images states he was also with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in addition to his main regiment (Scottish Rifles). :?

Years ago I received his service record packet from the MOD. He enlisted in 1904 and was finally discharged in 1923 (after serving two years with the TF). His packet definitely mentions the Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) and his brief transfer to the HLI (1st [Reserve] Garrison Battalion), which formed at Fort George in May 1916. Years ago my granny once mentioned she was with him at Fort George around this time.

However, there's nothing about any stint with the RIF during WW1 or beyond in his service packet. So why would it be indicated on one of his Medal Cards? Could it be a post-WW1 administrative error? Very odd indeed. The Medal Card does indicate both of his service numbers (and Scottish Rifles).
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Have you got the details so I can have a look sometime?
Adrian Bruce
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

AdrianBruce wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 12:18 Have you got the details so I can have a look sometime?
Hi Adrian. Details as follows:

William Kelly (sometimes listed as WE Kelley -- not sure why!)
Service number(s): 8819 and 27689 (the latter appears on several pages of his service packet from the MOD, but is always crossed out)
Service number: 27688 (this must be a typo on several of his Medal Index Cards and Pension Record Cards).

Just had a glance at his service packet, which is about 15 pages. Still no mention of the RIF on any of the pages. I wonder if WE Kelley is another chap, and my soldier's details were mistakenly included on his WW1 documentation? My chap had no middle name.

According to my soldier's records, he transferred from the Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) to the HLI in February 1916. He returned to the SR in January 1917. The reason for the transfer isn't explained in his records. One of my "military expert" friends reckons it was due to shell-shock, and sending him to the HLI (and Fort George) would allow him to recuperate.