We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Parents of Thomas Davison

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Parents of Thomas Davison

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I'm on the hunt for the parents of Thomas Davison, said (on 1861 census) to be born 1799 in Ferryhill, Durham. Ferryhill as a parish didn't exist 1845 and I don't know the area so am hoping someone who does can point me to the right set of records please. Thomas is a ship's carpenter by trade and his first wife, Rose, was born in Rye, Surrey (just for some background info) I only need to find his baptism/parents, nothing else.

Thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: Parents of Thomas Davison

Post by VALLMO9 »

Can I just ask what his birthplace is on other census records?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Ferryhill, Durham 1851, 1861 but Wickham, Durham 1871 (his last census) - all three wife as Mary from Rye.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

"FERRY-HILL, a township, in the parish of Merrington". Now this is where is gets a bit confusing: Ferryhill parish was created out of Merrington St. John in Sep 1843, but while Merrington is in Auckland civil registration district, Ferryhill was placed in Stockton district. As such, I would focus on c1799 parish baptisms in Merrington and/or Auckland, in the first instance. Note: I do see various records with Ferryhill as a location, circa 1800 and earlier.

This might help: Merrington was also called Kirk Merrington or Church Merrington. Places of residence include Bishop Auckland, Broom Hill, Butcher Race, Chilton or Great Chilton, Ferryhill or Ferriers Hill, Fieldhouse, Hall Heads, Hett, the Howl, Leasingthorn, Little Chilton, Merrington, Merrington Mill, Middleston, Standalone, Thinford Lane, Thrundale, Tudhoe, Westerton, and Windleston.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 04 Aug 2023, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

FMP's coverage for Merrington parish baptism records is listed as 1813 to 1846 although I do see a few pre-1800 records. Coverage for Auckland baptisms is 1773 to 1846. Have you checked Ancestry and FamilySearch?

Funny how TD's 1871 census birthplace is given as Whickham. Distance between Ferryhill and Whickham is about 22 miles. :?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I suppose it depends on who gives the information as to the accuracy. I’ve checked Ancestry and FamilySearch without pinpointing him, mainly because I know nothing about the area and was confused and hoped someone who did would throw a lifeline. Thanks for the clarification, that will help. FMP are usually good for non-London parishes but I’m not signed up just now.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 19:03 FMP are usually good for non-London parishes but I’m not signed up just now.
If you sign-in to your FMP account, you can view some parish baptism records without a sub. You won't see images, though.
Does his 1820 marriage record stipulate a parish for him?
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

The same goes for Familysearch, after you log in, search the catalog for a Parish, select Church Records and you may be able to browse the actual Parish register images. Extremely useful if they haven’t yet indexed them. Because without an index being available, they won’t be searchable.
By browsing the images, you can get round this shortfall.

1. Register for a free account.
2. Logg in.
3. Search the ‘Catalog’, restricting the results to ‘On-Line’
4..Select ‘Church Records’
5. Select the relevant Church if more than one available
6. Select the appropriate film for Birth, Marriage or Burial for correct time period.

The films have a symbol or symbols assosiate with them as follows:

Binocular symbol indicates the film is available for on-line viewing.
Magnifying Glass symbol indicates film has a seachable Index available.
A Padlock idicates it is locked, because it has been ‘sold’ to an associated website. (fMP, or Ancestry etc), who have exclusive rights to the film.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/

This is a very useful site for County Durham. It is not free so either it is an annual sub OR you can purchase credits to view records costing £1.50 a record. The price per record goes down according to the number of credits you buy.

There is one Thomas Davison listed in the Stockton district and nothing in the Auckland district.

Baptised Stockton District in 1798 Thomas Burn/Davison so possibly illegitimate.

You can create an account for free and search for Thomas Davison
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

FMP has the 28 Jan 1798 baptism transcription. Place: Bishop Middleham (Durham). Father: George Burn. Mother: Jane Davison. Notes: Bastard.
Ferryhill is 3 miles SE of Bishop Middleham. So this baptism is a possibility.