We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Two Bettys or One Betty?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
woodchal

Two Bettys or One Betty?

Post by woodchal »

I have a conundrum which our forum may help me resolve.

I have a Thomas Wilkinson b1796 that first marries an Elizabeth Leach in 1817 and has three children with her- Ralph, Ann and Robert

When she dies in 1830, he marries a Betty and goes on to have more children. Subsequent census returns suggest she was born in Ireland around 1810.

There is a debate on ancestry as to whether Betty was a Bate or a Caffrey. The problem I have is that there are two marriages between a Thomas Wilkinson and a Betty about the same time.

TW1 marries Betty Caffery 26 May 1883 in Cheadle
TW2 marries Betty Bate 14 Jul 1833 in Warrington

There are four potential children

Elizabeth 1833
Esther 1836
John 1839
Mary 1845

The last 2 children come into the birth registration period and so I could interrogate mother’s maiden name. John has Mmn Caffer (Caffrey?) and Mary has Mmn Bate.

My first instinct is that this should help sort it out, but it didn’t - in fact it confused me more.

Ralph, Robert (these 2 from first marriage), Elizabeth ,Esther and John together on 1841 census and John mmn Is Caffer (Caffrey?), which would suggest they were all Caffrey. Mary was not born yet and this looks like a blended family.

However on 1851 census Elizabeth, Esther and Mary are together. So if Mary has mmn Bate it would suggest they are all Bate.

Potentially this would suggest sequential Bettys, However the marriage records suggest he didn’t marry them sequentially, but rather suggests 2 Thomas’.

Census records suggest the Bettys may indeed be the same person - Perhaps as John was registered just after the start of registration and people were finding out what to do and they gave Betty's married name (from an earlier marriage and on the second one they gave her actual maiden name. (or vice versa). I have been trying this option without success – any other ideas.
VALLMO9

Re: Two Bettys or One Betty?

Post by VALLMO9 »

woodchal wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 17:08 TW1 marries Betty Caffery 26 May 1883 in Cheadle
I presume you mean 1833 (not 1883)?

Please can you confirm your Thomas Wilkinson's occupation(s)?

Is the Wilkinson family (1851 census) you mentioned the one living at Ashton Lane in Droylsden, Lancashire?

Thomas Wilkinson - birthplace Gorton, Lancs
Betty - birthplace Earls Cross, Durham
Elizabeth, Esther, and Mary - birthplace Openshaw, Lancs

This appears to be the same family in 1841 (Chorlton) based on the lodger (Thomas Longsden) living with the family in both census reports.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Have you got the wrong birth reg for Mary?
WILKINSON, MARY
Mother's Maiden Surname: CAFFREY
GRO Reference: 1844 J Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 20 Page 215

You can now get a digital image for just £2.50
Local indexes on Lancashire BMD give the maiden name as Caffey (sub-district Ardwick)

There is a Wilkinson / Bate family in Lymm, Cheshire, in 1851. Perhaps they had a daughter Mary who died before 1851?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

1861 census: Thomas and Betty (birthplace Ireland) still living on Ashton Lane with daughter Mary.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Baptism: 28 Jun 1835 St Michael and All Angels, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire
Elizabeth Leech Wilkinson - [Child] of Thomas Wilkinson & Betty
Abode: Openshaw

Baptism: 15 Dec 1839 St Michael and All Angels, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire
John Filds Wilkinson - [Child] of Thomas Wilkinson & Betty
Abode: Openshaw
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

Thanks people - some new eyes! And I think you have opened mine.

Yep Hatter. I think you found the right Mary. I’m sure I can pull it together now
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Looks like Thomas & Betty had another child: Cyrus Wilkinson. MMN: Caffrey. July 1838. Died November 1838. Location: Ashton under Lyne.