We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Howlette/Howlett

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
KayFarndon

Howlette/Howlett

Post by KayFarndon »

I am helping someone with their Warwickshire family tree and have the name Howlette on it as a male Christian name. I assume it would be a maiden surname originally, but this has not flagged up for me.

The first is William Howlette Wilson b. 1824 whose father was William Wilson, but his mother's maiden name was Wilkins.

Thereafter this WHW called his son, born 1867, the same and this son then takes us up to 1900 with his son, called Cecil Stanley Howlette Wilson born 1900 whose younger brothers born 1892 & 1897 both had Howlette added.

I found a family with the same spelling on the 1891 census in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. Emma Howlette was a widow and greengrocer and her eldest children were all greengrocer's assistants. The son was William C. [could this be Cecil?] so no Howlette as a second name. I am wondering whether there is any connection to the Warwickshire Howlettes.
Any comments will be gratefully received and thank you to all who respond.
VALLMO9

Re: Howlette/Howlett

Post by VALLMO9 »

Are you sure the MMN was Wilkins? Have you seen this May 1817 marriage in Foleshill: William Wilson to Mary Joanne Howlette. Witness surnames are Ormond, Brown, and Thirkins.

Baptism for William Howlette Wilson:
Date: 21 Nov 1824
Abode: Exhall
Parents: William & Mary Joanna Wilson
Father's occupation: Free holder