We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Sarah Parmiter died Rome 1906

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

Sarah Parmiter died Rome 1906

Post by meekhcs »

https://www.whowhenwheregenealogy.org.u ... .php?t=663
https://www.whowhenwheregenealogy.org.u ... .php?t=660
https://www.whowhenwheregenealogy.org.u ... er+sisters

For anyone who helped me, or who are interested in my longstanding brick wall with Sarah and her sisters the above links relate to Sarah Parmiter and Anna Elizabeth and Maria Shepherd Parmiter, from posts I had originally put on WWW about their lives.

I have continually dug away at this query and after many emails and discussions I am happy to report that I now have confirmation that Sarah Parmiter was connected to the DHM, that she went to France in 1854, and then a few years later to Rome where she spent the rest of her life working within the framework of the DHM.

Purely by chance I also discovered within the same exchange of emails that her sister Anna Elizabeth also went to France in the 1850s to a monastery of Visitation.

So another part of the Parmiter sisters brick wall has come tumbling down.

Another Query
I only have UK Ancestry access at the moment. If anyone has the time I would appreciate it if anyone can unearth a death for Anna Elizabeth Parmiter in France. For the moment I am presuming she lived out her remaining years there in Paris.

Anna Elizabeth was born in 1833 in Dorset to Thomas Parmiter and Sarah Gillingham and baptised as CofE
Re baptised into the Catholic faith at St Monica's Priory School Spetisbury Dorset in 1841 as Anne Mary
Confirmed in St Monica's Priory in 1843 as Anna Mary Monica Catherine
She could be listed under any of these names.

Many thanks

Sally
Sally
AdrianBruce

Re: Sarah Parmiter died Rome 1906

Post by AdrianBruce »

I tried Anna Parmiter with variations on both names, looking for death records in France. 29 come up - many of which show Anna etc as the mother of a child who died. Nothing looks like her - I have less than zero knowledge of how comprehensive that data is. (It picks up surnames like Parmetier, Parmeter, etc.)
Adrian Bruce
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I've checked My Heritage's new-ish and vast France collection for Anna Elizabeth (looking for variations), but no luck. Perhaps she ended up in another country. Do you know the name of the Visitation monastery in France she went to and it's location?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Adrian

Thank you very much for looking. Even though I have the various names for Anna it is still going to be hit and miss as she may have re-baptised, as her sister Sarah did, when reaching France. I was hoping to find a death that mentions her parents Thomas and Sarah, again as her sisters did who died in Rome. Interestingly Sarah 's death was registered in her original given name of Sarah, even though sh had re-baptised, and I hoped Anna would be the same.

I will keep plugging away.
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Mo

and as always thank you.

I have been checking the links you kindly sent me but it will take time to check thoroughly.

I have asked the question re the Monastery, but my contact is leaving for India today and I may have to wait until she returns at the beginning of December for an answer. I tend to think it would have been Paris as that is where Sarah was based. I think the only other one around in the 1850s was in Annecy?
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

meekhcs wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 07:57 Interestingly Sarah 's death was registered in her original given name of Sarah, even though sh had re-baptised, and I hoped Anna would be the same.
I remember reading somewhere that death registrations for nuns use their birth names. So the Italy death registration for Sarah was correct.

By the 1850s, there was also a Visitation Monastery of Montluel, France. (Interestingly, the Visitation community of Tyringham, Massachusetts was founded in 1853 in Keokuk, Iowa by the Visitation Monastery of Montluel. After having moved from Keokuk, Iowa, to Suspension Bridge, New York, and then, lastly, to Wilmington, Delaware).
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Also, the France collections on My Heritage were acquired in 2021 from Filae: https://en.filae.com/ (one of the links I sent to you).
The My Heritage baptism/birth, marriage, and death/burial records span centuries of French history and contain millions of vital records that are exclusive and cannot be found on other commercial genealogical sites. Each of the collections contains both parish records and civil records.
My Heritage also have the 1872 and 1906 France census. From 1836 until 1936, a national census was conducted every 5 years in France — except in the years 1871 and 1916. The 1871 census was delayed a year until 1872 due to the collapse of the Second French Empire during the Franco-Prussian War.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 24 Oct 2023, 14:05, edited 4 times in total.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thanks Mo, I will keep on plugging away but hopefully my contact will be able to help
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hello Everyone

I have looked through the suggestions posted here and drawn a blank.

I am going to put this brick wall aside again for the moment until my contact returns and can hopefully narrow down the research field for me, and return to the query I was originally working on.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Sally