We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Southwark Workhouse Records

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Re: Southwark Workhouse Records

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Nope - he only appeared once and I think he is more likely to be a foster son or a nephew - in 1911 the couple stated they'd only had one birth. If they are the couple in Newport then there are lots of Lees - it was a magnet for the Irish - and perhaps I've seen reference to a William and a Richard Lee in connection with a John and/or Ellen Lee in newspapers for that area and period. Can't prove anything of course...

I've been to the LGOC archives and in touch with them in subsequent years with no luck. I'll try Newham but won't hold out hope...

Where did you see that reference to the speeding fine?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I recall that Ancestry has the 1900 baptism image for John & Caroline's daughter Ellen Caroline (born 1894).
Abode is 97 Durham Road. Father's occupation: "Reservist". So, not omnibus driver at that point in time?

Try checking for an enlistment record for John around 1899-1900.
Not an expert, but I've read that Boer War Reserve battalions were formed from veteran soldiers in the UK for Home Defence. So, not very likely he saw action in South Africa.

If John Lee did have prior army service I wonder if he enlisted under another name during the 1880s?
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 30 Oct 2023, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Newspaper reports below. Not sure if the 1885 report relates to your John Lee...

Echo (London) 24 February 1885 -- Page 3
Joseph McCarthy (plasterer) charged with assaulting John Lee, omnibus conductor. McCarthy lived at 103 Pembroke Street, Islington.
It appears the incident happened at St John Street, which is in (or near) Islington?

Hendon & Finchley Times 23 August 1912 -- Page 6
John Lee, driving a motor omnibus at a speed exceeding twelve miles hour in Great North Road...
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks for the newspaper links, Mo. The article contains a story of him being in South Africa and held prisoner for a short while but is that true? Who knows? I've never seen mention of him being anything other than a driver but ... As for the Henry, again, who knows? The census doesn't provide any information that would make it possible to link the two Henrys.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

If the 1885 newspaper report concerns your John Lee then he's not in the Army circa 1885, as the LT article states.
As for "After a month in a prisoner of war cage his identity was established beyond doubt"...that suspiciously sounds like exaggerated chit-chat down the local pub. If he was indeed a reservist during the Boer War he wouldn't have seen any action abroad.

If you have a current FMP sub, poke around some military service records for the 1880s and also 1899-1900. I remember doing so a few years ago (for John Lee/Lea/Leigh), but didn't see any suitable records for him. Another suggestion is to search for additional newspaper reports, which might put him in a location or occupation that can help establish a factual timeline for him.

Either that or focus on another ancestor to research. John Lee's supposed military service and escapades (as per the LT article) will send you down rabbit holes. His birth year and birth place are impossible to pin down, so you'll just go round in circles.
After all, his parents might not have married, which makes it a possibility that John's birth/baptism may be under his mother's maiden name. Probably in Ireland, if they're the Lee family residing in Newport in 1871. I'd stick John Lee on a semi-permanent back-burner for the time being.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good advice! He's a nightmare but he's my nightmare so I'll dig him out now and then, just in case something crops up!
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

He was probably born in Ireland - and baptised or registered under his unmarried mother's maiden name. Whatever name that might be. Another mystery for you to solve. Ireland civil registration for births didn't begin until 1864. So depending on his birth year, you could be looking at either Church or Civil births in Ireland.

Have you taken an AncestryDNA test, etc?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Oh, there are a number of scenarios. And yes, I've done several DNA tests and haven't made any relevant connections. From a puzzle-solving point of view it's frustrating but in the grand scheme of things... :lol:
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Perhaps focus on additional newspaper reports (1881 onwards) to add to the John Lee factual timeline. Disregard that LT article, if I were you.
The report below sadly concerns a fatality. John Lee, driver of the omnibus, hit an elderly lady who died. John Lee gives his evidence at the Islington Coroner's Court enquiry...

Holloway Press - Saturday 30 July 1927 (page 6)
"Upper Street Bus Fatality" - "Old Lady's Fatal Hesitation"

Blimey, it's all going off in the newspaper reports! These reports have been pretty easy to find. (Note: Most or all 19th century Isleworth newspapers aren't online at the moment).
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I saw that one yesterday - I know he was cleared of responsibility but he must have felt awful. He retired two years later.