We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WW1 service record questions

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Thunder

Re: WW1 service record questions

Post by Thunder »

AdrianBruce wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 16:40 Oh that "London" is so annoying... You have my sympathy - they're all explicitly "London, England" so what else would you imagine "London" to be from that context? :?
A number of places in Canada are named after British places, Aberdeen being one and also Halifax (Nova Scotia). I expect the clerk who wrote out the cards did not expect people to be searching for the information 100 years later.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Like I said, there are over 100 images in his file on ancestry. The info is in there. Henry seems to have had some medical problems whilst in the army.
Is there a birth reg for him in London?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan will be interested in card image #619 -- the Assigned Pay card.
Payable To Whom: Mrs C Lee, 110 Alexandria Road, Upper Holloway, North London. Rate: $20

So it looks like his family relationship is to John Lee's wife Caroline. That would make sense, as an Islington workhouse record listed a Murray family directly above Henry Keeting's name. Caroline's maiden name was Murray. Could be just a coincidence, though.

UPDATE: Card image #639 says Mrs J Lee is his Aunt ! So it makes the Murray family, in the workhouse with Henry, more of a possibility of being Caroline's family. On Henry's 1923 marriage record his parents are listed as James Keeting and Mary Taylor. He's always in the workhouse with Mary Keeting as a young lad. So who is Caroline related to? Is it James or Mary?
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Tansy Lee and family make a quick reapparance!
Gosh Mo, well done for going through the 100 plus images in that record.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I have experience with lengthy CEF records, so I know right where to go for the "good" stuff. :lol:
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

jonwarrn wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 08:34 Is there a birth reg for him in London?
Given his aunt's maiden name was Murray this looks like a possibility:

Births Dec 1892
Islington
Henry Murray
1b See D/50
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Sorry, MIA. I couldn't access the Canadian records so have only just discovered the Lee/Murray connection from a third party. Thanks for finding the birth registration, Mo. I haven't had time to look since uncovering the Murray connection. It is a shame the link wasn't with the Lees, they remain my toughest brick wall but even the Berlin wall cracked eventually.

I've other branches that have donated members to the Canadian population and I've been confused many-a-time when theyed about going to Peterborough! I will be vary cautious in future...

Thank you everyone.