We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Find my past

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
paulr1949

Find my past

Post by paulr1949 »

It looks like FMP have been fiddling around with their home page again. I always use the “Search all record sets” option to search and the other day it disappeared. It then came back but now appears to have gone again. The quickest way to get to it now appears to be to click on the three bars (top right) and then search. It just adds another two mouse clicks-but why do they change things when they work quickly and easily?😡
Paul
Mick Loney

Re: Find my past

Post by Mick Loney »

Paul,
its on my homepage - just saying :D
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

The three bars icon in the top right, aka the hamburger icon, only appears when your FMP screen is below a certain width. (Don't ask me whether that's a pixel count or something more complex - I dunno).

Normally with a full-width FMP home screen, I see a down-pointing arrow next to "Search". Clicking either "Search" or the down-arrow shows a menu including "Search All Records" and "All Record Sets". But narrow the screen and those choices migrate to the Hamburger so you need the extra clicks.

I do think it's poor User Interface design - you shouldn't change the UI under someone's feet.
Adrian Bruce
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

Adrian I think you’re right, I often have a smaller window open so I can read someone’s details in family historian- but it’s only recently started as I’ve been using the same method for years!
It also is the same on my ipad
Paul
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

AdrianBruce wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 22:44 The three bars icon in the top right, aka the hamburger icon, only appears when your FMP screen is below a certain width. (Don't ask me whether that's a pixel count or something more complex - I dunno).

Normally with a full-width FMP home screen, I see a down-pointing arrow next to "Search". Clicking either "Search" or the down-arrow shows a menu including "Search All Records" and "All Record Sets". But narrow the screen and those choices migrate to the Hamburger so you need the extra clicks.

I do think it's poor User Interface design - you shouldn't change the UI under someone's feet.
I just tried your suggestion of narrowing my screen, and whilst Hamburger comes and goes, 'Search All Records' is always visible. This is immediately after logging in, and am sitting on my home screen. This is in addition to the 'Search' down arrow menu.

Another bugbear of mine is the filter mechanism of the search results. If one does an 'All Records' search then click on Births and Baptisms filter, one sees the filtered results - fine.
If one then changes search criteria to another individual, and no Birth or Baptism can be found, none of the other categories are refreshed/updated! So clicking on Census, brings up the Census entries for the previous search criteria, not the current one and your search criteria is reset back to original, forcing one to re-enter new search criteria again :cry: