We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Another Murray

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Another Murray

Post by VALLMO9 »

Because a cab driver was a steady profession. Most cab drivers stuck with it, and didn't do various labouring jobs (as your James did). You'll need to trace the James Murray (cab driver) after 1851, to confirm if it's another person.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Personally, I don't think he was a cab driver, horsekeeper was added to the entry so I think someone else was the informant, rather than the chap himself. More likely to be a stable hand but cab driver sounds 'better'. But nevertheless, he does need following up.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 16:25 ...horsekeeper was added to the entry so I think someone else was the informant...
Sorry, I'm not seeing that on the actual image. The image I see says just "cab-driver". Birthplace: Middlesex.
Also, can I just confirm if Eliza's father is named Robert...or is it Richard? :?
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Sorry, not concentrating - I have a note about the horsekeeper but I haven't checked the original today so if it's wrong, it's wrong. And yes, Eliza Summerfield's father is Richard Lovesy Summerfield. Again, sorry if I typed Robert.

Going back to the link Mo put up to the 1841 census for Ann Murray, the younger Ann is the daughter of a John Murray and as previously mentioned, Thomas and Jane Susannah Murray were found guilty of larceny in 1828 at the same time as a John Murray. I suspect John and Thomas are brothers. Further, the wife of the head of the household in Philips Street is a Frances Taylor - yet to be confirmed but when Thomas married Jane Susannah in 1826 one of the witnesses was a Frances Murray so it's possible Ann is in the home of her daughter.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 15:53 In 1841 Eliza is with her parents in St Mary's, Islington (sorry no street noted but probably Paradise Place) and a live-in servant in 1851 (details missing).
In 1841 Eliza and parents are living at Lee's Court, Elder Walk. Where is she in 1851? (As regards the 1841 census link, jonwarrn did that one).
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 18:53 Further, the wife of the head of the household in Philips Street is a Frances Taylor - yet to be confirmed but when Thomas married Jane Susannah in 1826 one of the witnesses was a Frances Murray so it's possible Ann is in the home of her daughter.
The woman living at Phillips Street, Kingsland Road c1839 is connected to the Thomas Murray who married Jane Susannah Parsons in 1826. They are the family from the settlement exam on page 1.

They are not ]the Murray family in the 1841 census at Clifford Buildings, Islington (Thomas, Jane, William, and James). This latter Murray family is possibly your family.

The other family (with Jane Susannah) does not have a son named James. So I would disregard them, and the 1828 larceny incident.

Using jonwarrn's latest settlement record(s) (see large image on page 3) this could be the Ealing marriage for Thomas & Jane:

10 March 1805 - Ealing
Thomas MURREY & Jane POWNEY
Jas SIMMONDS & Sarah POWNEY (looks like the Powney sisters married on the same day)
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Yes, I know that, Mo. Thank you!

The info provided here has been great, all help is appreciated, but now I need to sort through it so I’m drawing a line under this thread. Thank you again.