We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Attestation (surname alias)

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
VALLMO9

Attestation (surname alias)

Post by VALLMO9 »

Just wondering if other Forum members have this family tree situation during the 19th and early 20th century:

Recently I was looking for possible military records for one of my great-uncles (born 1883). Finding one soldier's records for three different regiments, from the Boer War to WW1, I had a close look at each record. At first I thought it was my great-uncle's records. Then I looked at the family names mentioned and the home addresses. Turns out the chap in question is my 1st cousin, twice removed.

Owing to family "complications" he enlisted using his middle name and mother's surname (which matches my great-uncle's name). His later records indicate his actual name for an alias - so the "name game" thing did catch up with him. Other records (marriage, census, death) always had his birth name.

Does anyone else have a similar military records "alias" situation (e.g. enlisting with mother's maiden name)?
Norfolk Nan

Re: Attestation (surname alias)

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Similar but not quite the same - looking for some of my chaps I looked at many attestation docs and came across several added statements confirming the use of aliases. No details given so no idea of the circumstances or the outcome - were they allowed to carry on or thrown out for deceit?
VALLMO9

Re: Attestation (surname alias)

Post by VALLMO9 »

Not so sure it was a matter of "deceit" as it was simply enlisting under another name. Unless the soldier had previously served and was discharged, then attested using a different name in another regiment. As regards my fellow's three attestation records, his birth name is (later) recorded as the alias.

I'm noticing quite a few military records on FMP where the Surname has been incorrectly transcribed as "Alias" yet the record image indicates the name and the alias used. Example below:

Surname: Alias
First name: Andrew Broson

The Pension record image shows "Andrew Broson alias John Rapier". :roll: It appears there is no record for John Rapier in the same collection.