We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Heighley

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
paulH01

Heighley

Post by paulH01 »

Hi - wonder if you can help me, I'm looking for a connection!

Some of my research on my motherline suggests I am related to a famiy in County Durham called Heighley (could be pronounced/spelt Heighkley and probably in other ways). They were either from Staindrop or Whorlton (so, west of Auckland) and my connection would be in the 1700s - latest one Hannah Heighkley, 1723-1795, buried in St.Helen's Auckland.

MyTrueAncestry suggests I have a DNA link to a place called Heighley Castle in Staffordshire. It seemed to be inhabited by the Aldithley/Audley family.

I was wondering if anyone could find/suggest a connection between the two?
It seems a big concidence that I have possible paper connections to Durham and possible DNA connections to Staffordshire - from two totally unconnected sources.

Thanks.
Thunder

Re: Heighley

Post by Thunder »

I would be suspicious of the alleged links, the article on Wikipedia (which should be checked against other sources like the Victoria County History). DNA links should in my view be checked against original sources. The castle was demolished in the 1640s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heighley_Castle
paulH01

Re: Heighley

Post by paulH01 »

Thank you, yes, I will certainly be very careful with this one, it's just the coincidence that the name turned up in two totally separate places, so I was just trying to see if there is a connection.