We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Britten Green marriage

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Britten Green marriage

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Can anyone make sense of this please? Elizabeth Britten married James Green in 1818 in Gt Billing, Northants, both OTP. One child, Mary Ann Elizabeth was baptised there in 1819. Ancestry describes her as Britten but the PR shows Britten Bird. I don't know where James is from or where the couple went. He is described as a labourer in the baptism and they are not the couple in Irchester, Northants. I haven't found either of them, together or alone, in the 1841 or 1851 Northants or Bucks census. I am tracing the history of Elizabeth Britten, daughter of William Britten and Elizabeth Worth, both of Gt Billing. It's possible she isn't James's bride and I can't explain the 'Britten Bird' entry so if anyone finds an alternative marriage I'd be grateful.

As always,thank you for your help :D .
AdrianBruce

Re: Britten Green marriage

Post by AdrianBruce »

Curiously the Bishop's Transcript appears to hyphenate her first two names, leaving "Bird" as the surname, i.e. "Elizabeth-Britten Bird" - this happens twice, so isn't just a fly-speck on the paper. The Parish Register omits the hyphen, so it's as if, when copying out the BT, the parish priest wanted to clarify that her surname was Bird and Britten was a middle name.

Which might mean she (the bride) is found earlier as "Elizabeth Bird"????
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Re: Britten Green marriage

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Well done, Adrian - she was baptised in the village as Elizabeth Britten, dau of Thomas and Elizabeth Bird. Perhaps mum was nee Britten… thanks for that! I don’t need to chase the couple now I know she’s not the one I’m after. Much appreciated :D