We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

FamilySearch Help

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

FamilySearch Help

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I know many use this site frequently and successfully but it baffles me. I'm trying to source film or images of the original baptismal register of 1732 for Edlesborough, Bucks. There's an unnamed male child baptised for John and Elin Green and I want to see for myself why there is no name - is it blank in the original or obscured or damaged? Is it viewable online or at a FS centre? Can anyone help please?

When I try via the FS site I get to a page that says 'how to use this catalogue' and then moved to another page with highlighted links that just take me back to the beginning. Frustrating!

Thank you.
Mick Loney

Re: FamilySearch Help

Post by Mick Loney »

You need to be registered with FS to see the images, so if you haven’t done so, do it now, then make sure you have signed in before proceeding :D
Click on the search on main page, then select catalog
Tick the Online option button at bottom of page
Enter edlesbough, and a suggestion pops up for Edlesborough, Buckinghamshire
Select that, and rwo entries appear, Census(1) and church records (3j
Click on church records and you’ll see the 3 entries
1.bishops transcripts
2.Marriages
And
3. Parish Registers
I selected parish registers and was presented with a list of films, unfortunately they all appear with a Search magnifier icon and a locked camera icon.
The locked camera means images not available to view on-line ( they may only be available at a Family History centre)
The magnifying glass means they have been transcribed and are searchable.

Does this help?

PS The images may have been locked because they have sold the rights to Ancestry or Findmy etc. Check if either of these have the images available.

Update, FMP and Ancestry both have the transcription, but neither has the image available. BTW mother is Eleanor, not Ellin! It may explain why FMP didn’t find it, until I changed her name to Eleanor :D
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Mick and thank you.

Firstly, I'd done exactly what you listed but got diverted after clicking on the option to see the PR. It's not the first time and I go round in circles. However, you've told me what I needed to know.

Secondly, neither FMP or Ancestry have the films either. Between them they offer three different indexes without access to the original to compare. So frustrating. Having discovered a transcription error in these this week I wanted to be sure that a blank meant a blank and was not another transcription error.

However, Bucks Archives have triumphed and confirmed the curate had left a space on the original entry - after saying the entry hadn't shown up on their index and then, after some pressure to look at the film, admitting it hadn't shown up because the name was missing (!) So now I have a possible baptism for my long-standing brickwall and am left wondering how I will ever know for sure. But that's another story.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

FreeReg have marriages (only) for Edlesborough. (See https://www.freereg.org.uk/freereg_cont ... ?locale=en - I hope)

Buckinghamshire FHS have baptisms 1567-1901 for the parish but it's £1 per search for a single baptism - see https://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/d ... s-searches. It might have been manna from heaven years ago but these days...?
Adrian Bruce