We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

John Way b 1780 Isle of Wight

Post here for your queries about DNA, or help fellow researchers understand theirs.
paulr1949

John Way b 1780 Isle of Wight

Post by paulr1949 »

Apologies for the fairly long preamble!

I have a DNA match through Ancestry who is descended from this person and am trying to prove it to my own satisfaction rather than just relying on thrulines. John Way (b 1780) was a butcher, the son of John Way (b 1753 Atherfield, d 1820 Shorwell) and Frances White (b 1754 Newchurch IOW m 18/7/1775 Binstead IOW, d 1806 Shorwell), who were fourth great grandparents. He moved to the mainland at some point and married Ann (surname unknwon). They are both shown in the 1841 census in Middle Street, Portsea (he as a butcher). There's an 1812 marriage in Portsmouth for a John Way and Ann Edney (both widowed) which I'm not sure about. The only family with them in 1841 is Richard Henry Way b c.1820 (seaman) - FMP has 3 records for him in the Navy Allotment declarations dated 1840, which show him as an ordinary seaman on HMS Victory, showing originally his mother Ann to be the payee, amended to sister Jane. Richard has married a Charlotte Prow in November 1841 in Portsea. I can't find a likely record at the moment for sister Jane.
Thrulines suggests that the link is through a son James b c 1813, became a baker: I've created a tree for him but I can't link him to John and Ann!
Any ideas/thoughts welcome - thanks for reading
Paul
Hardwork

Re: John Way b 1780 Isle of Wight

Post by Hardwork »

Perhaps you or some are all looking at the wrong WAY familes. Without seeing how each researcher traced back to the same WAY family it is hard to say, but it isn't unlikely that much tree copying has occurred. The fact that sister Jane can't be traced suggests it may be that baptisms didn't take place or are in lost or Non-Conformist chapels, also records lost or not maintained. When Jane first appears is she surnamed WAY still? Have you looked for a later marriage for her, if not? As both parties (John and Ann) were widowed at marriage, could Jane and John be children from either previous marriage, and if Ann's children, adopted the name WAY? Have you traced Ann's previous marriage and any offspring?

As I said in a previous post on DNA, I have a group of cousins and each one has a wrong family attribution in their tree which can only be because they have failed to search thoroughly or because they have all copied trees from one another. After pointing it out they still don't change their trees, probably because irrationally they think as I am from an illegitimate line, their "family" compiled tree is more accurate than that of an "outsider". People are very protective of their "research".
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Found the following which may help you to unravel the Family.
Baptisms
31 March 1822 at Portsmouth St Thomas Richard Henry Way, parents John and Elizabeth, John a Butcher, abode High st
20 Jan 1823 at Portsmouth St Thomas Jane Way, parents John and Ann, John a Butcher, abode High St
No Baptisms for a James Way in the period with Father John and/or a Butcher
However there is the following baptisms:-
a double baptism, 21 Sep 1820, at Portsmouth St Thomas for a Robert James Way and Mary Ann Way, parents Richard James and Harriet, Richard a BAKER, abode St Mary St.

I used the images from Ancestry titled "Hampshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1921, I also searched the earlier series of Hampshire BMD's ending in 1812 but there was not baptism for James, Father John.

There were many baptisms for at least half a dozen Way Families in the period
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Is this related?

Probate England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957
Name Ann Way
Death Date 30 January 1860
Beneficiary's Name James Way
Event Type Probate
Event Date 25 October 1864
Event Place Southampton

It appears that Richard Henry Way settled in Australia.
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

VALLMO9 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 17:01 Is this related?

Probate England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957
Name Ann Way
Death Date 30 January 1860
Beneficiary's Name James Way
Event Type Probate
Event Date 25 October 1864
Event Place Southampton

It appears that Richard Henry Way settled in Australia.
Yes, this is related I believe - thanks Mo.
I will look into the Australian link - it looks promising, although I will try and prove it for myself. One of the trees linked vai thrulines has him and another family member as emigrating to Victoria, Australia
Paul
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

Hardwork wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 13:53 Perhaps you or some are all looking at the wrong WAY familes. Without seeing how each researcher traced back to the same WAY family it is hard to say, but it isn't unlikely that much tree copying has occurred. The fact that sister Jane can't be traced suggests it may be that baptisms didn't take place or are in lost or Non-Conformist chapels, also records lost or not maintained. When Jane first appears is she surnamed WAY still? Have you looked for a later marriage for her, if not? As both parties (John and Ann) were widowed at marriage, could Jane and John be children from either previous marriage, and if Ann's children, adopted the name WAY? Have you traced Ann's previous marriage and any offspring?

As I said in a previous post on DNA, I have a group of cousins and each one has a wrong family attribution in their tree which can only be because they have failed to search thoroughly or because they have all copied trees from one another. After pointing it out they still don't change their trees, probably because irrationally they think as I am from an illegitimate line, their "family" compiled tree is more accurate than that of an "outsider". People are very protective of their "research".
There are a large number of Way's who originated in the IOW, some went to Portsmouth. My main initial source has been the card index maintained in the IoWRO, plus 3 or 4 hand-written trees which have been deposited there, of which I was able to take copies and from these I have been able to create a spreadsheet with all the names.
I have yet to investigate it, but have found a possible reference to an Jane who died in 1846.
Thanks for the information.
Paul
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

meekhcs wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:58 Found the following which may help you to unravel the Family.
Baptisms
31 March 1822 at Portsmouth St Thomas Richard Henry Way, parents John and Elizabeth, John a Butcher, abode High st
20 Jan 1823 at Portsmouth St Thomas Jane Way, parents John and Ann, John a Butcher, abode High St
No Baptisms for a James Way in the period with Father John and/or a Butcher
However there is the following baptisms:-
a double baptism, 21 Sep 1820, at Portsmouth St Thomas for a Robert James Way and Mary Ann Way, parents Richard James and Harriet, Richard a BAKER, abode St Mary St.

I used the images from Ancestry titled "Hampshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1921, I also searched the earlier series of Hampshire BMD's ending in 1812 but there was not baptism for James, Father John.

There were many baptisms for at least half a dozen Way Families in the period
Thanks, Sally.
I think Richard Henry is probably correct, but the mother's name isn't.
I think the double baptism is for another branch of the family. There are bakers in the family.

The James Way I think is possibly the link was born 1812/1813. It is possible that he was baptised as an adult - I've now found a record of a James Way in 1839 (born 1818) - so probably not, but I will keep it in mind ;)
Paul