We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

can not get anywhere researching one family ancestor

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
forcesilver

Re: can not get anywhere researching one family ancestor

Post by forcesilver »

Also I can find no Birth registration for Thelma
Born 26 July 1913
Have used in the search Thelma Florence Kathleen Holmes and Thelma Holmes
We had be told by one of my wife's older brothers who is no longer with us that she had a Yorkshire accent, however I am now going to look into the registrations of Wales.
I did have a suggestion from the miners union to an adoption maybe, regarding Thelma.
This was mentioned due to mine disasters and WW1, as other mining families or relations took on the some of the children and cared for them.
The miners union archives are only more reliable after the coal industry was nationalised in 1945, before then all mines were privately owned and records may have been kept or not.
I would like to mention that The Miners Union contacts I had were very helpful and interested indeed in my queries.
But finding any birth record for Thelma is difficult

Bob
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

forcesilver wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 10:33 ...that she had a Yorkshire accent
For what it's worth -- John H V Holme's paternal grandparent's weren't Welsh. Thomas Holmes birthplace was Cumberland, and wife Emma (nee Loosmore) was from Durham. If Thelma is related to John H V Holmes in some way (perhaps thru adoption) could she have been born or raised in the Durham area? Some folk could mistake that for a Yorkshire accent. :o
forcesilver

Post by forcesilver »

VALLMO9 wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 22:19
forcesilver wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 10:33 ...that she had a Yorkshire accent
For what it's worth -- John H V Holme's paternal grandparent's weren't Welsh. Thomas Holmes birthplace was Cumberland, and wife Emma (nee Loosmore) was from Durham. If Thelma is related to John H V Holmes in some way (perhaps thru adoption) could she have been born or raised in the Durham area? Some folk could mistake that for a Yorkshire accent. :o
Thank you VALLMO9
forcesilver

Post by forcesilver »

Hello
I have tried everything I know and also the suggestions, but can find nothing for the Thelma Holmes we are looking for, or John Henry Vincent Holmes, her father.
Could not find away to access the Thelma Harkell Camden Town suggestion as the 26 July 1913 date was the same.
Have tried Yorkshire, Durham and Wales, also just using England, all we can find is using the surname Efstathiou which is my wife's father's surname, which is correct.
the only records we can find are Thelma and Costa Efstathiou in the 39 and also their marriage certificate 1945, which we had hard copy of anyway.
We know those records are correct.
It is a complete mystery as she was born in 1913 and that we can find nothing in the 1921 census either regarding Thelma and her father.
Bob
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thelma and Costas were together as early as 1936 living at 81 Whitfield Street , St Pancras, London.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

forcesilver wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 20:21 I have tried everything I know and also the suggestions, but can find nothing for the Thelma Holmes we are looking for,
As jonwarrn mentioned earlier - it might be a good idea to get the 1981 death certificate for Thelma Harkell:

June qtr 1981 Camden 14 1880
Harkell, Thelma
d-o-b 26 July 1913

Death certificate should give maiden name and place of birth (as believed by the informant)
forcesilver

Post by forcesilver »

Thank you meekhcs and VALLMO9

How do I go about getting the death certificate as suggested

Bob
forcesilver

Post by forcesilver »

Hello
When requesting a certificate using GRO, for Thelma is 14 the volume and 1880 the page
Thank you
Bob
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

These are the GRO details:

Deaths Jun 1981
HARKELL THELMA 26JY1913 CAMDEN 14 1880

Vol 14
Page 1880
District - Camden
forcesilver